Friday, March 30, 2012

Turns out when you don't sleep for a number of nights, you eventualy go to bed and end up just sleeping through a lot of alarms/phone calls.... Sorry this post is a bit late.

What I did:
- redid some paintings (5 hrs)
- made some small fix-up paintings (3 hrs)
- fought with the scanner (5 hrs)
- researched frames (1 hr)
- went to michaels... twice (1.5 hr)
- talked to Mark about installation (20 mins)
- sketched out installation (45 mins)
- prepared 2 test signatures (4 hrs)
- took signatures in to printers (1 hr)
- thought about artist statement (1.5 hr)

What I discovered/accomplished/encountered:
     This week I completely re-did two of my illustrations due to some un-photoshoppable problems. I also made some smaller paintings to photoshop over some of my previous problems. (Like that creeepy reaching hand).
     I am still not done scanning, but I had to re-do all of my previous scans to get rid of the nasty watercolor wrinkle. The scanner hates me, but I am gaining patience (and I studied for my physiology exam while I worked. bonus!)
     I looked in to some frames at Ikea, but I ended up going to Michaels and ended up getting 2 different kinds of frames. I will test and see which one works better tonight.
     I talked to Mark for a few minutes about installation. He said recently that I could use a small table and some floor pillows for my project, so I went in to make sure they were still available (and they are).
     Photoshopped and indesgined my test signatures. I gave it to Kolossos yesterday, I will be picking it up as soon as I finish this.
     As for my artist statement (It is the artist statement that is going on the wall right?). I was thinking of a couple things: 1) A description: A children's story exploring a very different point of view, bones.   2) Teaser-esque: One curious girl. One extraordinary pair of glasses. One unforgettable adventure.  3) More "traditional" artist statement: What do you get when you meld the whimsy of a children's story with the scientific, yet beautiful world of bones? You get an unforgettable adventure through the eyes of a curious girl who gets to see the world through a very new and unexpected perspective. Join Kay as she explores and brings to life the world of bones.
-- I was also thinking I could do something short on the wall and glue or paint my more traditional artist statement on the table. I am allowed to paint the table (thank goodness! the one he was showing me was bright fire-engine red!).
-- Also, as part of my installation, I was also thinking about making a "life-size Kay" painting and adhering that to the wall somehow. Maybe it's too much. Thoughts?

*** edit: help! So the frame sizes available are either a bit to small (but correctly proportioned) or too big (and weirdly disproportional). Should I just trim down the original drawings to fit? Or should I make nice "correct sized" prints? Or buy a more expensive custom fit frame?

What's Next:
Finish scans. Photoshop scans. Final to printer by Monday @ 830am sharp. Test bind & sloppy bind by Tuesday. Buy and frame all pictures by Tuesday. Finished book by Thursday.
   
oops!
curious kay
fish skeleton!




1 comment:

  1. Kyla,

    Sounds like you are on a roll!

    Hard to know re: frames without seeing what you are talking about, but I think expensive custom frames should not be necessary.

    When you say that you brought a final to the printer today is that to print all your copies or a first test/messy bind copy? If you print one full copy, you can have a last chance to be sure all is as you want it to be. If you have already printed all of them, ignore me! (Although actually, even if it is printed, you can always slot in replacement pages before binding....)

    Re: your statement options, for me #1 doesn't accomplish much, #2 might be fun as text on the wall (seen from a distance with the images you mount?) #3 sounds like the promo text on the back of the book which could be fine. Another approach would be actually to put that text on the back of the book and put an artist statement in the show that speaks more to your goal as an artist. We can talk more about what this might mean in class tomorrow.

    Hannah

    ReplyDelete