Friday, April 13, 2012

The End...?

What I did:
- Michael's for new frames (30 mins)
- printing posters installation (2 hrs)
- Final fixes: (2.5 hrs)
- Kolossos (3 hrs)

- Drawing and painting cover images (2.5 hrs)
- scanning, editing, formatting, printing cover (2 hrs)

- Binding (5.5 hrs)
- setting up installation (3 hrs)
- documenting (45 mins)
- updating website (1.5 hrs)

What I discovered/encountered/accomplished:
     I went out and got different frames for my exhibition. They aren't the ones with the really thin border because the Michael's I went to had no idea what I was talking about... also I physically couldn't find them. I got the next best thing: They are glass and have a realitilvey small black border.
     I printed the posters to be framed once. This took a while to get all the settings right. I had to adjust the curves a couple times. However, while trimming them, I noticed they were extremely line-y. So I printed them again. But they are framed and hung.
     I made some last minute changes with color as well as physical add-ins and changes. For example, I added signatures on a few casts that I forgot about. I switched Kay's wink in the second to last page to read more as a wink.... etc.
     Kolossos was really understanding with my whole situation. I have been in there a lot over the past week. Test prints. Prints. More prints.... and last minute fixes. I realized at 5:20 on Tuesday that I messed up the formatting on the first and last page (and I sliced through one while trimming). I got there 20 minutes before they closed, huffing and puffing in complete disarray. Luckily the girl I have been working with was there and assured me that they could print a few pages off before close. At 6:01 I walked out with fixed pages. What a relief!
     My cover turned out pretty okay. I wish I had more time to work on it, but it works.
i promise, it looks better in person.

     Binding is such an exhaustive, but worthwhile process. I trimmed, folded, measured, sewed and glued 52 pages. In the end I had two pretty awesome copies of my book.



      When I got to my space in Work gallery,  Mark had already had my table, pillows, and even a rug set up. I guess my bothering him everyday worked out for the best. I painted the wall to cover up scuffs and other gross things. I hung my three frames in a straight line (and equally spaced too!!). I cleaned the rug and table. I also had to put some tape under the rug because it slid a little too well across the floor. I almost broke my neck a couple times. Lastly, I set out some postcards and my completed book. It almost feels silly that I have been stressing so much for the past 7 months and here is this little book on this little table.
     I updated my thesis project website to include picture of my process, and after tonight, I will be adding pictures from the show.

It is so strange that this is the end...








What's Next:
     I have a million things I want to do. Make more fixes. Practice binding more. Spend more time on the cover. Send it to blurb or lulu so my family and friends can have a copy.

So maybe this isn't the end for Kay... I think she still has a few adventures left.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment