Friday, February 24, 2012

Pre-Midwinter Break

What I did:
- postcard image (3 hrs)
- pagination modifications (2.5 hrs)
- researched/purchased watercolor paper (2.25 hrs)
- full size illustrations (3 hrs)

What I discovered/encountered/accomplished:
     Worked on making the image for my postcard at the end of last week. I worked to find an image that was interesting in both subject matter and point of view. I settled on an image of a hand partially through the lenses of the x-ray glasses. I made a  couple versions, since I am still warming back up to watercolor painting.

one curious girl.
one exceptional pair of glasses.
one extraordinary adventure.
X-Ray Kay.

     I modified my pagination in several ways. I am still working on expanding the x-ray adventure and cutting the lead up. I think that I have almost successfully done both. I am also working on making some scenes clearer. I am also settling on a distinct and consistent way to show x-ray. I tried doing a "fade" view, however it wasn't too successful in showing both worlds at the same time. I will continue to work with inset boxes.
     I took a look at some of my earlier versions and I realize that although it has been a struggle to not just settle and start drawing, all this time and modifications have been extraordinarily helpful and important. At the end of November, my story wasn't half as strong as it is now (both visually and in clarity).
     I finally dropped the money for my watercolor paper this week. I needed large, high quality paper really really bad. I decided on Arches 22x30" 140lb cold press. It took a while to make that decision, let alone find the cheapest retailer. I purchased a sample pack of watercolor papers a while back and I played around with those to determine the best fit for the look I was going for. I really like the thickness of the higher pound paper and the subtle tooth of the cold press paper. When I ordered the paper, I made sure that it was large enough to do 150% scale. I want the images to be crisp, clear, and detailed in the final book.
   I worked a bit on full scale illustrations. I'm glad I started last week, because I was able to change the book proportions and things are working out much smoother. All though these full scales are just tests, I have learned a world of things. Not only am I more comfortable with watercolor, but I realize what size things really need to be, how different pen sizes change things, what details show up and which ones are extraneous, as well as realizing that some elements (all though well intentioned) actually flatten or confused the image.

What's next:
     I am making final modifications of my pagination as I type this and I will have my illustrations done by the end of break. LET'S GO!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds good -- GO, GO, GO!
    Hope you have a satisfying, productive, intensive week!
    Hannah

    ReplyDelete